The Papua Insects Foundation
about us:Bivak Island in the Noordrivier (Lorentz River).
The third South New Guinea Expedition (1912-1913)
As a continuation of the former two South New Guinea expeditions in 1904 and 1909/1910 to the "Snow Mountain" Mount Carstensz (Mt. Trikora) Capt. A. Franssen Herderschee, A.A. Pulle, P.P. Hubrecht, G.M. Versteeg, J.H. Sitanala and Lieutenant L.A. Snell organized a third South New Guinea Expedition. The aim was a scientific expedition to gather more information on the soil, people, flora and fauna of the south side of the Central Mountains above 2,300 meters. It took place between August 1912 till May 1913. Finally, on 21st February 1913, they reached the top of Mount Wilhelmina (Mt. Trikora) at 4,700 meters.
The base camp was settled on "De Arend" (The Eagle), quite a large vessel for exploring shallow rivers. With smaller boats and later on by foot the voyage was continued. Several camps (bivak) were made (sequence of the voyage):
On this expedition plants and animals, among which insects, were collected. At the end of the expedition Papuas secretly took away the collection of bird skins, probably for ornamental use. The preserved insects are in RMNH and ZMAN.
(left) the expedition members; (right) the camp vessel "De Arend" surrounded by Papuas (all pictures, from: Pulle (1913))
(left) The Noordrivier (Lorentz River) near Kloofbivak; (right) Bijenkorfbivak (Beehive Camp)
visit of "Pesechems", Papuas in the highlands of the Snow Mountains
Pulle, A., 1913. Naar het Sneeuwgebergte van Nieuw-Guinea met de Derde Nederlandsche Expeditie. In: Van Reizen en Trekken, Mij. Voor Goede en Goedkoope Lectuur, Amsterdam. 205 pp.